Thursday, June 19, 2008

30 Rounds about Egypt

I spent the last month in Egypt, and set myself the challenge of writing a round a day. I will now spend the next month recording and posting them here.

Why rounds?
I got the bug from my friends at An Exciting Event who started singing Moondog rounds together and have since written many fantastic ones of their own.

Rounds are great to listen to because they guide attention in interesting ways. I can follow one part until a certain a certain threshold in complexity. Then my attention tends to explode into a dizzy, non-linear sampling of everything at once. And then a feature might grab my attention, and I can't help but hear it in the foreground, over and over again, moving around the ensemble. It's a kaleidoscopic Gestalt-grouping experiment. The simplest round can be heard over and over in new and interesting ways.

But most of all I wrote these to be sung. I just graduated from college. My opportunities for free, top quality performances of my music are probably over for a while. I want to be able to make my own music again. Most, I want to make Singing Together a viable way to spend time with my friends.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Marc Chan said...

Elliot,

Just discovered your blog and I think it's absolutely brilliant! Can't stop listening to the rounds, or as I like to describe them: snap-shots in strict counterpoint.

I've been listening to some of your work over on your website as well and I'm especially drawn to the Parable of the Sower. Compelling and terribly beautiful.

Thanks for sharing this project of yours and I'm looking forward to the rest of the 30!

Marc